Tuesday, June 14, 2011

More Please

Today was supposed to be Day 1 as a full time student, but my class didn't push through. Because I had to wait for color coding to pass, I decided to watch the few TED Talks that I had in my iPod. The talk that struck me was called Addicted to Risk by Naomi Klein, which you can watch here.


While watching this, I felt somewhat ashamed of being part of the human species. Yes, I am guilty of exploiting the world's resources with the illusion that there's more than enough to go around anyway. When it comes to my personal resources, I often worry that I do not have enough for me to survive on. I can't quite maintain the same attitude towards shared resources. Of course, it wouldn't be very healthy to worry endlessly about anything. But we would be doing our planet a favor by at least keeping in mind that the day will come when it can no longer give us more when we demand too much of it. I have no right to be preachy about this, of course. I've yet to give up eating beef or start commuting everyday. But a more conscious effort has to be made. I know I want my kids to live long and still see the beauty that this world has to offer. Hopefully, their generation can also take better care of their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment