Wednesday, June 22, 2011

1 + 1

This blog was created to maintain a habit of writing and reflection. Unfortunately, it's been more of the latter than the former for me. But I have a feeling there will be more output soon since classes have begun, and I have loads and loads of new information to process everyday. I had a moment of insanity and decided to take 14 units of graduate classes this sem, so three hours of every weeknight will be spent in a classroom. Exciting! Anyhoo.

Today was my assessment class, and our topic was about establishing rapport with the child you're assessing. What was particularly striking for me was this: you have to know yourself well, and become aware of your perceptions and biases towards children to assess them effectively. And as we discussed last week, assessment must go beyond diagnosing, and should have a higher purpose of bringing about improvements to achieve one's optimal development. With such an undertaking, it's also important that one remember and understand developmental psych concepts. This brings me to today's focus on synergy.

Crazy workload aside, this semester seems to be an emphasis on synergy. I realize that all the things that I have learned so far, and everything that I will learn this coming semester can actually come together and paint a bigger picture. I'm actually excited to refine my knowledge of research and assessment methods this sem. The practical value of the things that they teach at the graduate level is something that I appreciate immensely. Yes, this sem will be crazy, but probably the most exciting one yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment